The mission of the Temple of the Living God is to assist people in their spiritual awakening and support them through education, healing, love and service.
Many find a home for their heart and their spirit at the Temple of the Living God. We are a spiritual family that recognizes each person as an integral part of our ministry. We support all people in their individual journey to know the Divine and to find hope, healing, prosperity and peace. Our philosophy offers a practical approach to Metaphysics and helps people of all religious backgrounds and faiths apply positive spiritual principles in their daily lives.
The Center of Light & Healing
Bookstore and Unique Collectibles
at Burlington House
Hours: Monday - Wednesday: 10 am to 8 pm
Friday and Saturday: 10 am to 4 pm
Sunday: 12 noon to 2 pm
For more information about the
Expanded Bookstore & Collectibles at Burlington House,
please click on "Miracles Bookstore" on menu bar above.
What Enlightenment Is and Isn't
(Excerpts taken from "A Course in Miracles" and writings by Gary R. Renard)
By Jonathan Mathews (Temple Discussion Group member)
At this point I will attempt to define enlightenment. It is a state of mind where the world and what's in it just kind of drops away along with the ego part of our personality. What becomes most important comes to the forefront of our minds which is is God and unconditional love for self, everyone, and everything. This is What "A Course in Miracles" calls true forgiveness. You are still in the world, but not OF the world. You are born anew and your life becomes peaceful and filled with love. You are no longer striving for the things of the world, like money, material things, power, or fame. You are no longer attached to outcomes, you are able to choose 'what is'. Your main goal becomes service and helping others obtain what you have. This of course can be done by just showing up as an example of the Christ, as Jesus did 2000 years ago. This is called Christ consciousness. The result is peace, joy, happiness, and fulfillment.
Many folks think that if they get enough spiritual knowledge, they will eventually become enlightened. Others believe that because they are seeking it, at some point they will receive a huge awakening. For most of us, it is a process, and comes in stages. There is nothing wrong with spiritual knowledge, and it is certainly a great background for actual enlightenment. The truth is that enlightenment is the result of taking this knowledge and putting it into practice. This knowledge can be used for inspiration to make the decision to apply what you know in difficult situations. In other words, when things aren't working well you can make another choice. This is best done by asking Holy Spirit (God in you) to assist you in seeing the person or situation in another way, through the eyes of love. This will eventually lead to being non-defensive, non-judgmental and non-reactive, which of course leads to the peace of God, and that is what we are all seeking, either consciously or unconsciously.
Here are some steps that will help you on your path to enlightenment. Don't try to master them all at once, just take one at a time in any order, until it is embodied and mastered, then go on to another There is no hurry!:
• Make another person's interest your own. Be helpful and compassionate.
• When attacked, remember it is really and always a call for love, therefore your compassionate response is "I love you! How can I help?" Avoid being defensive, combative, and having the last word.
• Catch yourself judging another, and instead look deep inside of him until you can see the holy essence in him, the Christ within. feel that love and notice that it is the same love inside of you. Then ask,"What is needed here, how can I best serve this person or this situation?" When it is shown to you, have the courage to act on it. When you criticize or judge others, it is just a projection of yourself, so however you would like another to be, you be THAT! Eliminate gossip and remove yourself from that type of environment.
• Spend time every morning and just before sleep in a spiritual practice of your liking: meditation, prayer, and affirmations of truth, such as: I am perfect, whole, and complete….I am patient, loving, and kind….I am perfect health, abundant, and fearless….I am the awakened Christ…. I am one with all. (write your own)
• Give a simple, authentic smile, a hello, or a compliment when you confront a so-called stranger, even a scary one. Talk as you would to a friend and affirm in your mind their beauty and perfection, just as they are.
• Listen carefully to, and affirm others, even if they appear mundane or boring and seem to have nothing to offer you. Don't try to change anyone; allow others to have their own thoughts, beliefs, opinions, and feelings, even if they are in opposition to yours. • Have good highway manners, even when others don't. Share love.
• Look for and go out of your way to help others in need. Ask how you can be truly helpful. Give generously of your time, talents and treasures without any thought of recompense or glory. Practice giving randomly and anonymously.
• Be kind and gentle to yourself and it will reflect on others.Eliminate getting overloaded emotionally and physically and out of balance, for others will pay the price along with you!
• Take responsibility for the life you created and always know you can choose again with God, with Love.
My prayer is that you take this message seriously, as I do. I love you.